I don’t believe there is a better place to exercise than the great outdoors so when the weather is good, make the most of it! Try this simple but effective session and the best bit is it only takes about 30 minutes (if you run/jog!).
What you need:
- A hill – the steeper and longer it is the harder you will work so choose wisely!
- A flight of steps – A single step will also work!
- Comfortable clothing
- Suitable footwear
- No medical reason why you can’t do this
What you do:
- Warm up for 5-10 minutes – anything (run/jog/walk/skipping/star jumps etc) that increases your heart rate
- Get yourself to the top of the hill as quick as you can by whichever means is safe and effective for you
- Come back down slower
- Repeat 5 times
- Make your way to the step(s) (this is your recovery so go at about the same pace as you came back down the hill)
- Get yourself up 40-50 steps – this could one long flight or several small ones or 40-50 step ups
- Come back down slower (if using several steps/step ups, walk around for 30 seconds)
- Repeat 5 times
- In the same way as you travelled from the hill to the step(s) go back to the hill
- Repeat this whole process again but 3 times up the hill/steps
- Repeat a third time but just once up the hill/step(s) as hard and fast as you can go
- Well done!
- Cool down (similar to the warm up but a little slower – basically dont just stop!)
- Do a few stretches
- Increase the pace (e.g. go from walking to jogging some of it to jogging all of it etc)
- Add in a sequence of 2 reps (and then 4)
- Reverse the sequence so you finish with the 5
Let me know your favourite outdoor activities!